I am really looking forward to the Joint Conference of Librarians of Color 2012 (JCLC2012), a conference for library workers serving diverse, multi-lingual and multi-ethnic populations. That makes JCLC a conference for everyone! JCLC is sponsored by five associations of ethnic librarians:
- American Indian Library Association (AILA)
- Asian/Pacific American Librarians Association (APALA)
- Black Caucus of the American Library Association (BCALA)
- Chinese American Librarians Association (CALA)
- National Association to Promote Library and Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish Speaking (REFORMA)
JCLC 2012: September 19-23, 2012. See you soon in Kansas City, Missouri!
I am delighted to have the opportunity to speak at the following two sessions:
- Serving Latino Communities: Best Practices and Advice
September 21, 2012 at 3:00 p.m.
A fast-paced and interactive session! Eight REFORMA librarians representing a variety of different library types and locations will talk about their best practices for involving the Latino community in library services. Using the Lightning Talk format, each presenter will have 20 slides and 15 seconds per slide to talk about their best practices and innovations in serving the Latino community. After the talks, we’ll have a Q&A session in which audience members will direct the conversation and ask the questions that will help them implement effective practices in their own libraries.
- Online Tools for Spanish Speakers: Innovation from Academic and Public Libraries
September 22, 2012 at 4:00 p.m.
This session features examples from academic and public libraries building communities for Latinos and Spanish speakers. It also presents best practices, tips and information about emerging technologies used by libraries to establish a presence in Spanish-speaking communities. The session is recommended for everyone including outreach librarians at academic and public libraries, library senior staff and library decision-makers.
- Note that there will be a 50 for Freedom of Speech event at JCLC 2012 organized by Adriana McCleer. I will be reading at the event: